Palazzo della Civilta Italiana
Quadrato della Concordia
open coordinates in google maps
open coordinates in apple map
Building names(s): Palazzo della Civilta Italiana / Civiltà of Lavoro Palace
Architect/Designer: Giovanni Guerrini + Ernesto Bruno La Padula and Mario Romano
Completion date: 1943
completion date: 1943
function(s): civic, expo
checkout: The Palazzo della Civiltà Italiana was constructed as part of the program of the Esposizione Universale Roma, a large business center and suburban complex, initiated in 1935 by Benito Mussolini for the planned 1942 world exhibition and as a symbol of fascism for the world.
The palace is entirely clad in travertine marble, as is characteristic of buildings in the EUR. It is a parallelepiped on a square base, with six levels rising above a podium. The scale is imposing: the base covers an area of 8,400 square meters, and the building has volume 205,000 cubic meters with a height 68 meters (50 meters from the base).